Laser skin resurfacing is a minimally invasive procedure used to treat sun damaged, aged skin. The procedure requires little to no downtime. However, there are a few steps patients need to take in preparation for the procedure. Dr. Donald Hause of Sacramento Aesthetic Surgery shares a few things patients expect before and after laser skin resurfacing.
Before Laser Skin Resurfacing
To prepare your skin, Dr. Hause will have you go under a series of skin treatments approximately six weeks prior to the procedure. These treatments are custom-made for your skin type and will help you obtain the best results. Unprotected sun exposure should also be avoided in the months prior to treatment. Before laser skin resurfacing, Dr. Hause will also provide a list of guidelines, including directions on when to:
- Stop smoking. Smoking can interfere with proper healing.
- Stop taking certain medications. Aspirin and certain anti-inflammatory drugs can cause excessive bleeding.
- Discontinue taking topical skin care products. Certain product ingredients may increase the risk of complications.
After Laser Skin Resurfacing
Following your treatment, your skin may be covered with petroleum jelly or other protective ointments. In some cases, Dr. Hause may apply dressing, tape or bandages. After laser skin resurfacing, it is important to:
- Avoid sun exposure until all skin color has returned to normal.
- Apply sun block with a sun protection factor of 30 or more every time you go outside.
- Not wear makeup for the first week after treatment.
- Elevate your head with an extra pillow at night.
- Not smoke.
It’s important to note that these are general guidelines to follow. Dr. Hause may recommend additional guidelines based on your type and how your skin reacts to the treatment.
Are You a Candidate for Laser Skin Resurfacing?
You may benefit from laser skin resurfacing if you have any of the following:
- Fine lines or wrinkles on the face caused by sun damage or the normal aging process
- Acne scars
- Liver spots
- Uneven pigmentation
- Enlarged oil glands on the nose
Learn More from Dr. Donald Hause
Not everyone is a suitable candidate for laser skin resurfacing. Depending on the condition of your skin and your aesthetic concerns and goals, Dr. Hause may recommend another treatment. To find out if laser skin resurfacing is right for you, schedule a one-on-one consultation. Please call Sacramento Aesthetic Surgery at (916) 646-6869.