Sunscreen Tips for the Summer
Just applying sunscreen isn’t enough to adequately protect your skin from the sun. Before you spend some time out in the sun, Sacramento plastic surgeon Dr. Donald Hause would like to share a few sunscreen tips to keep your skin looking its best this summer.
- Use the right amount of sunscreen. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, about an ounce (approximately the size of a shot glass) of sunscreen should be enough to cover all exposed body areas.
- Use 30 SPF (sun protection factor) or higher. Sunscreen with an SPF of 30 blocks 97 percent of the sun’s rays.
- Use broad-spectrum sunscreen. Broad-spectrum sunscreen protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Reapply every two hours or as instructed. Most sunscreens only offer protection for about two hours. Reapply
after two hours or after swimming or sweating profusely.
- Apply sunscreen even during foggy or cloudy weather. Up to 80 percent of the sun’s rays can penetrate through clouds and reach your skin.
- Wait to go outdoors. After applying sunscreen, wait approximately 15 to 20 minutes before heading outside.
- Check the expiration date. Sunscreen does expire! If there is no expiration date on the bottle, check to see for
signs of expiration such as changes in consistency and color.
- Choose the right sunscreen for your skin. Hause carries several medical-grade sunscreens and can help
you find the right one for your skin type.
How to Treat Sun Damage
Has the summer sun already taken a toll on your skin? Dr. Hause offers several skin care treatments to repair sun damage and restore a healthy and beautiful skin glow.
A chemical peel is a minimally invasive treatment that removes the top layers of the skin to make way for healthier, younger skin. The treatment is great for treating fine wrinkles, age spots, uneven skin pigmentation, rough skin texture, and other signs of sun damage.
Laser skin resurfacing is another non-invasive treatment option that helps relieve various forms of skin damage. The procedure utilizes pulsating beams of focused laser light to target damaged skin cells in the topmost layer of the skin. This in turn triggers the body’s natural collagen growth process for more elastic and firm skin.
To learn more about the skin care options Dr. Hause offers, please call Sacramento Aesthetic Surgery at (916) 646-6869.