Breast augmentation is a potentially life-changing procedure that requires careful planning. Fortunately, Sacramento plastic surgeon Dr. Donald Hause will be with you every step of your breast enhancement journey. Here, he offers helpful tips to keep in mind as you prepare for your surgery.
Weeks before surgery:
- Stop taking aspirin and other blood-thinning medications.
- Quit smoking.
- Make arrangements for a loved one to drive you to and from surgery.
- Fill your prescriptions.
- Plan ahead for your recovery by grocery shopping. Stock up on water and easy-to-make meals.
The night before surgery:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight.
- Take off colored nail polish (clear and nude colors are OK).
- Get a good night’s rest.
- Put your ID, medical insurance cards and other pertinent information in your purse.
The morning of surgery:
- Do not take any medications or vitamins unless cleared by your surgeon.
- Shower using antibacterial soap provided by your surgeon.
- Do not wear any lotion, creams, hairspray or perfume.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing (tops that zip or button in the front are best).
- Wear flat shoes or flip flop sandals.
- Do not wear jewelry and take out any piercings.
- Swap your contact lenses for your eyeglasses.
Keep in mind that these are general guidelines. Dr. Hause will provide additional instructions for you to follow based on your unique case.
Once you’re home from surgery:
- Rest in your bed or couch with your head and neck elevated, propped up on big pillows.
- Begin taking pain medication as prescribed. Set an alarm on your cell phone to remind you when to take your medication.
- Stay hydrated by drinking at least eight ounces of water every two hours.
- Eat a light meal like soup or Jell-O.
- Minimize swelling and discomfort by icing the treated area(s) with ice packs or frozen vegetables.
- Do not bend or lift heavy objects.
- Keep your compression garment in place.
- Have your surgeon’s phone number handy in case you have questions or experience any side effects.
The initial recovery period for breast augmentation is typically one to two weeks. Dr. Hause may modify your recovery instructions based on your healing progress.