Laser skin resurfacing is a safe and effective treatment used to reverse the damaging effects of sun exposure and aging. However, the procedure is not for everyone. At Sacramento Aesthetic Surgery, we are dedicated to educating our patients on the benefits and limitations of the cosmetic procedures we offer. In this blog post, Dr. Donald Hause discusses the pros and cons patients should consider before undergoing laser skin resurfacing.
The Pros of Laser Skin Resurfacing
- The procedure tightens and smooths wrinkled skin, resulting in a younger-looking appearance.
- Laser skin resurfacing can improve the appearance of acne scars, uneven pigmentation and other imperfections caused by sun damage and aging.
- The treatment can treat several body areas, including the neck, hands, chest and delicate facial skin around the eyes and mouth.
- Laser skin resurfacing is minimally invasive. No incisions are needed as is the case with surgical procedures (e.g., facelift, eyelid surgery).
- The procedure requires little to no downtime. Patients can return to their normal routines sooner than with surgical procedures, which may require one to two weeks of recovery.
The Cons of Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Results are temporary. However, long-lasting improvements in skin quality and texture can be achieved with repeated treatments.
- It may take people with darker skin tones six to nine months to regain their normal skin pigmentation.
- Patients who are prone to scarring, are taking certain medications or have a skin disorder may not be eligible for the procedure.
- As with any cosmetic procedure, laser skin resurfacing comes with possible (yet minor) risks and complications, including hyperpigmentation, redness and swelling.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Are you interested in learning more about laser skin resurfacing? Dr. Donald Hause will gladly answer all of your questions during a one-on-one consultation. During your consultation, Dr. Hause will examine your skin and discuss your aesthetic concerns and goals with you in order to determine whether laser skin resurfacing is appropriate for you. If you are not a suitable candidate for the procedure, Dr. Hause can recommend other skin care treatments that can best achieve the results you seek. Reach out to Sacramento Aesthetic Surgery by calling (916) 646-6869.